Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 13, 2020

Underdog






Underdog


   The ole "Shoe Shine Boy" is what they called him on the television screen and his famous namesake is also used a million times over for the person, team, school, or company that has a very small percentage to win against the much bigger, faster, and stronger opponent. I'm talking about no other than Underdog the boy wonder! What a great show that was. Classic intro with great scoring. Every hard working stiff no matter the species felt that realism of him biting into that quarter to make sure it was real and not getting ripped off by the 1% that hoard all the wealth in this capitalistic society. Sorry for that tangent but anyways he's doing exceptionally well these days. His real name is 'Shine' by the way. His real life marriage to Sweet Poly Purebread is long over with and his transition from Hollywood to the normal life was seamless minus the angst and heartbreak that other former stars have fell victim to. You can actually see him from time to time at one of the many McDonald's that he owns way out in Santa Clarita and Valencia areas just outside of LA. I stopped by the one near Magic Mountain about a week ago when I had to pick up an old girlfriend of mine who ran into car troubles out there. Soon as I walked in he was sitting right there in the lobby giving an interview to a potential hire.  

After I grabbed about five twenty piece nugget boxes, ten large fries, and six large cokes I saw that he was done with the interview and I decided to give him a holler before I left. I know he played kind of dimwit on the show but in real life he's very sharp and kind of a serious poker face type. I basically told him that he's an inspiration to the animal world and I still loved the cartoon to this very day. He thanked me and that of course that opened him up a bit for conversation. He said that Poly Purebread is doing well. Sadly Simon Bar Sinister is no longer with us. He does keep in touch with Riff Raff and Tennessee Tuxedo a few times a year which was good. And I could resist about asking him about his much publicized feud with Snoopy from Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang back in the day. He wasted no time in giving me the 411..


"Oh were cool now. That beef was squashed years ago. Me and Snoopy starting off pretty much around the same time ya know. He always used to come to me about how Charles Shultz, Lee Mendelson, and CBS was low-balling him and Woodstock primarily because they weren't humans. It was common ground between us because I was getting low-balled myself starting off. Later on my second and third contracts got much better but bare in mind I was the star of my very own show and he was in the shadow of Charlie Brown plus they didn't have a weekly show either back then. But they were still huge 'cause remember people actually bought and read newspapers back then and the comic section was a huge part of that. After 'Merry Christmas Charlie Brown' and "Its the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown' they finally threw Snoopy a bone with 'Snoopy Come home'. When that animation special dropped and the world loved it.. He turned his nose up to everybody and acted like he didn't know me anymore and it crushed me. Crushed my soul. His head was way in the clouds and he thought he was going to get nominated for an Academy for that performance. Little did he know.. But I get it he played second fiddle to Charlie Brown for so long and he was due for some spotlight and I let bygones be bygones and eventually we patched it all up. Nowadays we laugh about it. It was so petty and silly."


Informative unbridled information indeed. I then asked him how the McDonald's franchisee life was going for him.  As soon as I said that his enthusiasm evaporated and his facial expression soured.. 


"Ehhh.. I kind of want out to tell you the truth. I have six McDonald's altogether. I had nine and I just unloaded two and gave my daughter one last year. But.. and I hate to say it but-  these guys at the corporate office don't know their left from right anymore. This company flat out doesn't know what the fuck they want to be anymore.. and us franchisee owners have to take the brunt of all the bad and suspect decision making that's going on over there! The 'All Day Breakfast' for example- each franchise owner had to buy all new equipment for that move out of our own pockets and not to mention ton of employees quit because the all day breakfast was a pain in the ass. The dollar menu items and things like the "2 items for $4 bucks" promotions kill and decimate our profits. New different sizes of Big Macs is a headache and a wtf moment. And are we trying to compete with Starbucks with all these new coffee drinks were making now? Its a mess. *SIGH* And I'm sorry I don't mean lay this out all in your presence. You didn't come here for this. But in all honesty I need to get going and I appreciate you stopping by and patronizing us and also telling me how you love Underdog.. That means a great deal to me. It was another life but I'm truly grateful that people still hold that show dearly in their hearts. And again I thank you. Stop by again and have a good drive back into the city!"


That was touching moment indeed. I didn't even mean to get him going on the McDonald's issues as a franchise owner. I felt a little bad about that but I'm at least content that he was pleased that I recognized his greatness as Underdog and what the show means to so many animals and humans across the globe. Matter of fact he's not an underdog anymore in my opinion literally and figuratively. He's a champion and a hero, straight up!



Hollywood Elephant















No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave feedback